Here are some tips for looking after a crested gecko:
1. Habitat: Set up a properly sized terrarium for your crested gecko. Aim for at least a 20-gallon tank with vertical space for climbing. Fill the tank with appropriate substrate like coconut fiber or moss.
2. Temperature and Humidity: Maintain a temperature range of 72-78°F (22-25°C) during the day and around 65-70°F (18-21°C) at night. Humidity should be around 50-70%. Use a hygrometer and a thermometer to monitor these levels.
3. Lighting: Crested geckos are nocturnal and do not require UVB lighting. However, they do need a consistent light and dark cycle. Use a low-wattage, full-spectrum bulb that provides gentle lighting during the day, and ensure complete darkness at night.
4. Diet: Feed your crested gecko a balanced diet of both live and powdered food. They primarily eat a paste-like mix called "crestie diet" or CGD (Crested Gecko Diet). Additionally, you can offer small amounts of insects like crickets or mealworms occasionally.
5. Water: Provide a shallow dish of fresh water in the terrarium for drinking. Make sure to change the water daily to keep it clean.
6. Handling: Crested geckos are generally docile but may be skittish. Ensure you approach them slowly and gently, supporting their body. Limit handling to a few times a week and avoid grabbing the tail, as it can detach if the gecko feels threatened.
7. Cleaning: Regularly clean the tank by removing any uneaten food, feces, and shedding skin. You can spot clean daily and perform a thorough clean every month. Use a reptile-safe disinfectant to clean the enclosure.
8. Enrichment: Provide your crested gecko with plenty of things to climb and hide in. Branches, plants, and hollow logs can make great additions. Ensure everything is secure and safe for your gecko.
9. Health Check-ups: Schedule regular visits to a reptile veterinarian to ensure your crested gecko is healthy. Take note of any changes in behavior, appetite, or appearance, as they could be signs of illness.
Remember, researching and understanding your crested gecko's specific needs is crucial for their well-being. Providing a suitable environment and a nutritious diet will help your pet thrive.